This is the archive for our podcast, a pop-culture round table discussion. The show is currently on hiatus, but keep an eye out here for future installments.
MythSpoken #42: “Kickstart My Life”
The MythSpoken Crew is back and talk DC weekly series, the Fall TV schedule, and the perils of KickStarter.
- Quantum Kickstarter
- Thread on Quantum
- Sad Children article
- Washington lawsuit
- DJ P Video
- DJ P Website
- Amazing Spider-Man Happy Meal toys
- Eddie Izzard ‘Force Majeure’ Tour
- Death Star Canteen
MythSpoken Special: Original Sin #1 Review (CSI:616)
- Greg Rucka on Nerd Privilege
- The Janelle Asselin Teen Titans “Controversy”
- Star Wars Movies Not Using EU Source material
- The Specimen by Pete Kahle
- Space Battleship Yamato
- Tomodachi Life
MythSpoken #40: Amazon Attacks!
MythSpoken Spoiler Special-Captain America II: The Winter Soldier
Who is the Winter Soldier? The MythSpoken team tackles this mystery and others as they discuss the latest Marvel Cinematic release, Captain America II: The Winter Soldier.
MythSpoken Gaming Special: Monsterhearts
MythSpoken #39: The “Dead means Dead, unless you’re from Riverdale” Episode
The MythSpoken Crew is back and this week talk about Afterlife with Archie, Death in Comics, and the representation of female action heroes in advertising.
MythSpoken Special: Race In Gaming
Modern Myths caters to a broad swath of the Nerdo-American community, from kids who love My Little Pony to D&D, from Transformers to Settlers Of Catan, from Batman to Magic The Gathering. What they all have in common is imagination, which is a universal human quality. In this special podcast, staffer Michael Dow and some of his gamer friends talk about some of the barriers nerds of color encounter when they join the fun.
MythSpoken #38: The “Can We Try That Again” Episode
MythSpoken Interview Special: Anne Thalheimer
MythSpoken Podcast #36: The Red & Black Episode
MythSpoken Gaming Special: Ribbon Drive (part 1 of 3)
The MythSpoken Crew recently sat down and played Ribbon Drive, a great mix tape themed indie RPG from Buried Without Ceremony. Listen as we kick off our road trip with some songs from Mike G’s playlist!
All music is © their respective creators.
MythSpoken #35: The “Reindeer Games” Episode
The MythSpoken Crew is back with a look at games this holiday season, the Mamaroneck store’s first year of operation, and handling political disputes among nerds.
MythSpoken: The Holiday Wishes Episode
The MythSpoken Crew gathers round the fireplace to discuss what they would want for the holidays if they were suddenly in charge of DC Comics, Marvel, Warner Brothers, HBO, etc…
MythSpoken #33: The Thanksgiving Episode
Mike, Ellie, and Barak give thanks this holiday week for their favorite comics, games, and TV/films of 2013.
MythSpoken Gaming Special: Strat-O-Matic Baseball
We take you out to the ballpark as we give the classic baseball simulation game Strat-O-Matic a play-through! Thrill to the 2012 Boston Red Sox taking on the 2006 Cleveland Indians! The Northampton store is in the process of setting up a Strat-O-Matic Baseball League for the winter and is also now stocking both baseball and football versions of the classic Strat-O-Matic at a retail price of $19.99.
MythSpoken Gaming Special: Monsterhearts Character Generation
The MythSpoken Crew sits down and explores the intricacies of the character generation system of Monsterhearts.
MythSpoken Halloween Special: “The Found Footage” Episode
As the world recovers from the recent Zombie attacks, the MythSpoken Northampton Crew is still unaccounted for; the only information we have to date is this mp3 file that has recently surfaced.
MythSpoken #32: The “I Love That Guy!” Episode
The New York MythSpoken Crew is back and this week they talk Games Workshop, Fan Communities and how the industry affects them, and finally, how the closing of a game/comic shop can affect a fan community!
MythSpoken Gaming Special: The Quiet Year
The MythSpoken Crew recently sat down to play The Quiet Year, the map making game from Joe Mcdaldno.
MythSpoken Podcast #31: The Quick Episode
The MythSpoken Crew is back and this week we talk Agents of Shield, anti-heroes in comics, and non-canon homage comic stories!
- Agents of Shield @ abc.com
- Wikipedia article on Twilight of the Superheroes
- Alan Moore’s proposal for ‘Twilight of the Superheroes’
- Mark Waid looking back on ‘Irredeemable’ and ‘Incorruptible’
- Brooklyn 99
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta
MythSpoken RPG Special #9: 13th Age Level 10 “Where do we go from here?”
(Due to some technical difficulties, play is joined in progress. Our apologies!)
MythSpoken #30: The “Seth Trifecta” Episode
The Nerd Culture Podcast is back! Topics this week include the Fall 2013 TV schedule, fans calling for the boycott of PAX, and Ben Affleck as Batman!
- Life’s Too Short-Val Kilmer as Batman
- A Primer on the PAX controversy
- Penny Arcade Clarification
- Wired Magazine on the PAX controversy
- Newsarama on Forever Evil #1 (Spoilers!!)
- The Awesomes
MythSpoken Special: Superhero Reader Discussion w/ Charles Hatfield
MythSpoken #29: The “They’re not dolls, they’re act…oh, yeah, those are dolls” Episode
Barak talks game theory and design, Mike discusses downloadable content for video games, and Ellie checks in about the Monster High and Bratzilla toy lines.
- Capes, Cowls, Villains Foul
- NPR on Goth Barbie
- Monster High website
- Ever After High website
- Monster High video
- Ever After High video
- XCom: Enemy Within
- The Bureau: XCom Declassified
MythSpoken Episode #28: The “That’s A Bloody Good Looking Arm” Podcast
The New York Crew is back for another podcast! Jim talks about the comic book back issue market, Mike I (First Law of Mad Science) talks about indie comic market, and Shane discusses comic book body art.
- The blog Shane mentioned with pics of his tattoos
- First Law of Mad Science
- The Wake
- Brandon Graham
- Gaiman at Politics & Prose
MythSpoken #27: “The Adam WarRock Podcast”
- Adam WarRock Official Webpage
- Nintendo Stock Rising
- Animal Crossing
- Tomodachi Collection
- Video of Tomodachi Collection
- Superman vs. Batman Movie Announced
- Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
- Trask Industries Website (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
- Flashpoint Paradox
- Universal Zombie RPG
- Ultimate X-Men
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
MythSpoken Podcast #26: “The Our Last Best Hope” episode
- Del Toro on the Mexican Jaeger
- Double Exposure Cons
- Magpie Games
- Mark of the Ninja
- Steal Away Jordan
- Trailer for Hemlock Grove
MythSpoken RPG Special #8: 13th Age Level 5, Part 2
The MythSpoken crew is back at the gaming table and trying to find out what caused the zombie infestation. Will the Prince of Shadows thwart our valiant party? Or will it be that shadow dragon that does us in?
MythSpoken Special: Continuity, Reboots, and Retcons or “What the heck is Angela doing in my comic?”
The MythSpoken Crew sits down to discuss continuity in comics after recent events in the New52, Marvel Now!, and Age of Ultron. Contains spoilers for Age of Ultron #10.
MythSpoken RPG Special #7: 13th Age Part 3
MythSpoken Podcast #25: The “Why Didn’t They Just Make It A Mini-Series” Episode
Mike, Barak, and Ellie are back with a regular bi-weekly episode. This week the crew talks comics: Avengers Arena, and the upcoming Superman/Wonder Woman and Justice League 3000.
MythSpoken Review Special: The Man of Steel
We recently checked out DC Comics/Warner Brothers ‘The Man of Steel’. Find out if we liked it! We stay spoiler-free until the 17:00 minute mark.
- The Official Man of Steel website
- Superman vs. The Elite DC Animated Universe film
- Supergirl in Man of Steel? (IGN)
MythSpoken RPG Special #6: The 13th Age Playtest, Part Two
The MythSpoken crew is back at the gaming table and we’re 2nd level! Nothing will stop us now! Except that dragon, or intra-party conflict, or something. You can learn more about 13th Age at http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=9764 and you can pre-order the game at Modern Myths!
MythSpoken Podcast #24: The New (York) Crew Episode
The MythSpoken Crew is back! Jim is upset about the recent cancellation of Marvel Heroic RPG, Blair discusses the New 52, and Shane talks his discovery of gaming!
MythSpoken RPG Special #5: The 13th Age Playtest, Part One
MythSpoken RPG Special #4: The 13th Age Character Generation Episode
MythSpoken Review Special: Iron Man 3
The MythSpoken Crew checked out Iron Man 3 this past weekend and then sat down to discuss the film. We stay spoiler-free until the 14:30 mark. Chime in below and let us know what you thought of the movie!
MythSpoken Special: “Nerd Culture & Race” Part Two
MythSpoken #23: “The Crotch Arrow” Episode
MythSpoken Special: “Nerd Culture And Race” Part One
MythSpoken: The ‘Patriot’s Day Special’
To celebrate Patriot’s Day, we sat down with two creators whose love of the Revolutionary War period really shines through in their work. First, we talk with Richard Iorio, the co-creator of the supernatural, historical role playing game Colonial Gothic. Then, we chat with Seamus Heffernan, the creator of the Xeric Award winning comic Freedom! #1.
MythSpoken #22: The ‘You Can Look, But Not Touch!’ Episode
The MythSpoken team tackles upcoming Summer Comic Events, Cosplay Convention Consent, and Aging Comic Creators.
- USAToday Article on Trinity War
- Geoff Johns and Jeff Lemire discuss Trinity War
- Marvel’s Infinity Event
- Spawn’s Angela to appear in Age of Ultron
- PAX East Model Asked to Leave
- Meagan Marie: What Would you do if you weren’t Afraid?
- Combatting Cosplayer Harassment
- Fully Covered Superheroines
- John Byrne
- Chris Claremont interview about working for Marvel
- Mike Zeck
- Paul Galacy
- Last of Us video game
- Daredevil: End of Days
- Wonder Woman! The Untold Story of America’s Superheroines
- Detective John Munch
- DC Comics Continuity Trade Reading Order
- Jerry Ordway not getting work
- Joshua Hale Fialkov off Green Lantern
- Andy Diggle off Action
- Revolving Door at DC Comics
- Firaxis announces Release Date for Civ V:Brave New World
- Guy plays Civilization for ever
- Civ Anon
- Dangan Ronpa
- Dangan Ronpa Let’s Play
MythSpoken Special: Robin R.I.P
The MythSpoken crew gets together to mourn (not really) the death of Damian Wayne and discuss the past, present and future of the Robin franchise.
- A fan-film montage of Robin (Jason Todd)’s death from Death In Family.
- A history of Stephanie Brown as Spoiler/Robin/Batgirl.
- NY Post Exclusive on the Death of Damian Wayne
- Grant Morrison on his Batman run and the death of Damian Wayne
MythSpoken Special RPG Podcast #3: The D&D Next Beta “Holy Playtest Podcast!”
With a new batch of playtest materials from Wizards of the Coast, we sat down and took the cleric class for a spin! Utilizing the different builds of the new cleric, we designed a party of all clerics! How’d we do? Find out as the Interfaith Ministry descends into the Malign Ravine! Apologies in advance for some minor editting glitches. Special thanks to Barak Blackburn, Joe Lastowski and Tim Shields!
MythSpoken #20: The Pastiche Episode
The MythSpoken crew discusses Image Comics’ Extreme Studios re-boot, Gail Simone’s firing and re-hiring from Batgirl, and the backlash against geek culture in the wake of the recent shootings in Aurora and Newtown.
- The NYCC Announcement about the Extreme Studios relaunch
- Glory & Prophet trade paperback reviews
- Gail Simone’s Tumblr
- Gail Simone’s Twitter
- Gail Simone off Batgirl
- DC Comics Rehires Gail Simone on Batgirl
- Gail Simone Tossed off Batgirl Via E-mail
- “I’ve Got a Bad Feeling about This”
- The Big Deal about Gail Simone’s Firing
- Batgirl #18
- Penny Arcade on Violence in Video Games
- New Republic article on the Video Game Burnings
- Colonial Gothic
- Archer Season 4
- Monster Maidens
MythSpoken #19: Auld Lang Syne Episode
The MythSpoken team takes a look back at their favorite moments of 2012 and talk about the things they are most excited about in 2013!
Mike’s Show Notes
- Star Wars Card Game
- Star Wars Edge of the Empire RPG
- X-Wing Miniatures Game
- DC New52 Multiverse
- Marvel Heroic RPG
- D&D Next
- Dr. Who
- Trinity War
- Grant Morrison’s Multiversity
- Young Avengers and Secret Avengers
- Brian Wood’s Star Wars Comic
Jim’s Show Notes
- Marvel Now
- Brian Wood
- Free First Issues of Storm Dogs and Comeback
- The NY store
- Games on Demand
- Pax East
- Indie Press Revolution
- D&D Next
- Star Wars Beginner Game
- 40k Eldar Army
- The Mary Sue on the Sandman Prequel
Ellie’s Show Notes
- Image Comics
- Capes, Cowls, and Villains Foul
- MC Lars
- Adventure Time
- My Little Pony
- Bravest Warriors
- Man of Steel
- Iron Man 3
- The Miraculous Ladybug
- The Miraculous Ladybug Video
- Fearless Defenders
MythSpoken #18: “The Christmas Love-In” Episode
The MythSpoken team talks about Mary Sue and why she’s bad for feminism, Santa and who he’s been hanging out with in the world of comics, and finally about Image Comics’ recent decision to not re-print Saga #7.
- Mary Sue via TV Tropes
- Marty Stu via TV Tropes
- Call the Character Police! We’ve Got a Mary Sue
- Mary Sue, What are You?
- The Mary Sue Blog
- Santa Claus appearances in Comic Books
- Generation X Holiday Special
- The Last Christmas
- Larfleeze’s Christmas Special
- Prep & Landing: Elves Assemble
- Santa Claus vs. Easter Bunny
- CCVF Christmas Comes But Once a Year
- Bleeding Cool’s Coverage of Image Comics’ Decision
- The Mindy Project
- DC Comics Deck Building Game
MythSpoken Episode #17: “The This Means War Podcast”
The MythSpoken Crew talks gendering in toys, the Disneyification of Star Wars and Edition Wars!
- Swedish Toy Catalog Reverses Genders
- Gendering Toys is Good for Nobody
- Does Stripping Gender from Toys really make Sense?
- History of Gendered Toys
- Riley on Marketing
- Disney Buys Lucasfilm
- Secrecy Behind Episode VII planning
- Would Disney buy Hasbro?
- Guardian UK on the Edition Wars
- A nice, succinct opinion piece on how silly the Edition Wars are
- D&D NEXT Playtest
- Wreck-it Ralph
- Walking Dead Vol. 17
- Marvel Now! Wikipedia Entry
- Marvel’s Now Site
- On Geekdom and Privilege: Sympathy for the “Pretty”
- Nerds and Male Privilege
- Dear Fake Geek Girls: Please Go Away
- Geek Gatekeeping is Bad for Business
- Tony Harris’ Facebook Post
- Double Exposure
- Fred Hicks on the Metatopia panel schedule
- Ken Hite on the Metatopia show
- Indie Press Revolution
- Monster Chase
- Slate on Assassin’s Creed 3
- Bravest Warriors Comic and Online TV Show
- Adventure Time: Origin of the Ice King
MythSpoken Interview Special: Evan Torner & The Pioneer Valley Gaming Colloquium
The MythSpoken Crew sits down and interviews Evan Torner, contributor and co-editor of Immersive Gameplay and an organizer of the First Pioneer Valley Gaming Colloquium Find out about the great events planned and a look at the genesis of the book.
- The ICv2 conference
- Ellie’s Twitter
- Art from the Superman panel
- NYCC overview with Lance Festerman from Reed Pop
- Vertigo Comics (Wikipedia)
- Image of the Comics Code breaking two page spread from Swamp Thing #29 (Love & Death)
- Planet Orbiting Alpha Centauri
- Warp Drive article
- Tsuro of the Seas
- Lollipop Chainsaw
- Objectification and Lollipop Chainsaw
MythSpoken Episode 14: The ‘The Once & Future’ Podcast
To celebrate Modern Myths’ 10th Anniversary, Ellie, Jim and Mike hop in the MythSpoken Time Machine and take a look at the comic & game industries ten years ago, today and ten years from now.
- Top 300 Comics September 2002
- Top 50 Graphic Novels September 2002
- Words & Pictures Museum
- Are Hobby Shops Doomed?
- Digital Comics and Comic Shops
- Future of Role Playing Games?
- Motor City
- Batman DCAU: Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
- Extra Life
MythSpoken Special RPG Podcast #2: The D&D Next Beta “Into the Caves of Chaos!”
The MythSpoken crew gathered up a group of fantasy role-playing game veterans to take a look at the new D&D Next Beta rules! In this week’s instalment, we venture into the Caves of Chaos! Interested in D&D Next? Make sure you check out these Special RPG Podcasts! Special thanks to Tim Shields, Joe Lastowski and Barak Blackburn.
If you have questions, comments or show suggestions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the MythSpoken hotline at 781-81-MYTHS.
- Episode 1
- Episode 2
- MythSpoken Special Podcast: J.M. DeMatteis
- Episode 3
- Episode 4
- MythSpoken Review Special: the Avengers
- Episode 5
- Episode 6
- Episode 7
- MythSpoken Review Special: the Amazing Spider-man
- Episode 8
- Episode 9
- MythSpoken Review Special: the Dark Knight Rises
- Episode 10
- MythSpoken Interview Special: Atomic Robo Creators Scott Wegener & Brian Clevinger
- Episode 11
- MythSpoken RPG Special #1: D&D Next (Beta) Character Generation
- Episode 12
- Episode 13